Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My World, My Words by Erin Urban

A first offering from a second generation writer, this book is in one way, what you might expect from a young girl's first steps in expressing herself. Nonsense poem is light and silly, and it made me laugh. I loved it! Nobody is perfect reminded me of my own time in junior high and high school when I didn't quite fit in, yet her poem let me look back and finally smile about it, laying a painful ghost to rest. She is so smart for her age.

She writes beautifully about what she knows. Her prose comes openly from her heart and a few pieces instantly became favorites when they touched my soul. I found myself going back to Blue is... to read again and again. Mason reminds me of my own dog, a chow mix that would intimidate everyone, but go belly up for tummy rubs as soon as he decided he liked you.

There is a blossoming maturity to her words that isn't expected from someone only twelve. You can't read The last time without believing a sensitive soul wrote those words. Although I write it, I rarely read poetry because I find it difficult to connect with. This young author made me smile and feel glad that I took a chance and bought her book.

The level of maturity in her short story at the end amazes me as she presents a sobering look at gangs and gang violence. The writing is an eloquent warning of where life in a gang can lead. I found the strength in her story a promise of the future this young author can have if she continues to write. For my part, I hope she does. There is talent here waiting to burst out and be expressed.

This book is available at Amazon and Smashwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment