Sunday, November 26, 2017

Becoming Charlie: Part 1 by Kristie Haigwood

As a first book in the YA genre, Haigwood has outdone herself. I have read every book she's put out so I know exactly what I'm saying here. I devoured every chapter as she posted it to Wattpad.com and had to go back multiple times to read everything. She addresses multiple societal concerns with a deft hand - bullying, body shaming, anger all receive her treatment in a way that leaves you hopeful.

This story is told from Charlie's point of view and in doing so, we learn a lot about being on the outside of school cliques. Haigwood doesn't waste any time at throwing Charlie to the high school wolves. They crudely and cruelly put down her under-developed body. One begins to grope her when her secret crush spectacularly comes to her rescue. Following him are the rest of the varsity baseball team and several faculty.

From this point on, Sean challenges Charlie's perception of herself. Both are keeping secrets from everyone but their families. You might be thinking, "How many twists and turns can a YA story take? I mean, really. These are teenagers!" Yet each new chapter posted on Wattpad was devoured within minutes of learning it was up.

I would never have guessed this genre could be so all engrossing. I should have known better because I know Haigwood's work. Silly me. This is more than an excellent read. "Becoming Charlie" offers gentle lessons on getting to know someone before judging them, on sticking up for someone who may not be able to do so for themselves. And does it all without preaching, without you realizing there's a lesson here. Without doing anything more than being a fantastic book.

"Becoming Charlie: Part 1" isn't due out until December 5th on Amazon. I've already told her I want a signed copy of the book. Yes, I love the story that much. Her characters are believable. The high school trauma of being on the "outside" is quite accurately portrayed. Although I wasn't invisible like Charlie, I was never part of any "in" group. I stayed on the edges.

Haigwood deserves 5 stars for this book and has them from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment