Friday, August 18, 2017

In the Beginning: Charlie by Kristie Haigwood

I don't as a rule write about books that aren't finished and published, but I was sent a link to this story and have been hooked ever since. If I find a book I like, I tend to scoop up as many more by that author as I can afford, especially if there's a series. I can't help it. I just like to keep going until I reach the end. As far as I know, this is Haigwood's first venture in the YA (young adult) genre. I keep telling her she doesn't know how to write a bad story. Well, true to form, she hasn't yet.

This book is being fed to us a chapter at a time on Wattpad, a site where both professional and beginning authors share their work. When you're hooked on a story early on, one chapter at a time makes for an antsy, impatient reader. Haigwood has it covered though. Every addition keeps me glued. Who'd have thought I'd get sucked into reading, and RE-reading an unfinished book?!

So... Charlie is in high school and she's a geek. As in the "in" crowd ignores her until they need her help as a tutor. She's clumsy, awkward, and has a thing for the cutest jock in school. Sean is the jock in her dreams. They're both keeping secrets from each other and everyone else. In a classic "boy rescues girl" scene, the two get together. He's all calm, cool, and collected. She's all nerves, and can't figure out why he's helping her.

In a recent post on Facebook, Haigwood has let us know she's hoping to publish this story in about a month. In the Beginning: Charlie is the first of four books planned for this series. Each book will be written either from Charlie's point-of-view or from Sean's. You really do want to read this story. Haigwood never disappoints, even when it's one chapter at a time. Follow the link and you see what I mean. Hop on the Charlie train, you'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment