Saturday, July 11, 2015

Ultimate Alpha Boxed Set: A BBW and Wolf Shifter collection by Terry Bolryder

I love stories about shapeshifter, especially wolves. Really, any animal will do, but I have a thing for wolves (and snow leopards, but that's another story). I stumbled across this author via Alpha Contender, Part 1 and fell in love. Perhaps because Lindon was my introduction to Bolryder's world, he became my favorite character. Getting a chance to read the entire series as completed stories was too good a chance to pass up. I will admit to disliking books sold as serials instead of a complete story. That being the case, I always wait until the last part is available before reading it. The wait for this particular boxed set was definitely worth it.

Boxed sets are a great thing when you want to read everything in the order the author would like you to read. While each of these can be read on their own, all the gaps are filled with them presented in the proper sequence.

Bolryder creates a believable world for readers. Although I found these to be quite easy reads, there are enough of the right elements to keep me coming back. (I've read Lindon's story a few times now.) For those of you new to these particular books, the series is set around three brothers, all alpha males who may or may not consciously realize they want a mate at the time she shows up. Each brother is subjected to his own trials and tribulations that must be overcome to win the lady.

As each story progresses, Bolryder expands and builds greater depth in the world she (?) has created. We learn more about the world in which these shifters live, their struggle to survive as a race/species. I am engrossed by everything about them each time I open one of these books, but most especially by Lindon, in Alpha Contender.

The only problem I had with these books was the lack of sufficient proofreading and editing. The same errors I found in reading each of these stories separately are present in the boxed set. Proper names pop up without capitalization. Some sentences read as though they completely missed editing. It was disappointing to have these distractions in what otherwise would be a perfect escape from reality. I can easily see how Bolryder has acquired such a following. Her males are the ultimate providers and protection. They are the perfect fantasy male. The women feel cherished by the end of the story.

Ultimately, when it comes down to rating the boxed set, I have to take everything into account, not just whether I enjoyed the book(s). Did I enjoy them? Absolutely! The fact that I keep rereading them would give them an easy 4 stars, maybe even 5. Unfortunately, the errors do impact the level of enjoyment for me. Because of that, I can only give this book 3 stars. Had these stories received the level of editing they needed, I would have gladly given a higher rating.

At the time of this review, the boxed set is only available at

No comments:

Post a Comment