Sunday, March 8, 2015

Built for Hanging On by Steve Vernon

This is a short story set in a post-apocalyptic world that focuses entirely on an older couple who are seeking safety (?), refuge (?) from the dangerous world that is now their reality. I felt as though I was given a look into a few hours in this couple's life.

I think the author's choice to keep this short was a good one, at least for me. Had the story been any longer I would have become bored with it. There were some problems with the editing that should have been caught before publishing, but otherwise, this was an okay story.

Following the story that titles the book are several more of varying length, but mostly only a page or two each. I'm not really sure what their purpose is for being included in this book unless it's to expose the reader to other work by this author.

The final inclusion in this book is a preview look at another story by Vernon, this one for a full-length novel. As I already have the full-length novel that is previewed in this book, I chose not to read that one. 3 stars

This book is available from Amazon (US, UK, AU, CA)

No comments:

Post a Comment