Monday, March 4, 2024

Soar with Angels (Angels Fall First, Book1) by Nathan Squiers

It's been a long time since I've had the opportunity to review a book from the Bard. Far too long in my opinion. Little did I know the emotional roller coaster I was signing on for. 

There are twists and turns which are typical of anything Squiers sets his pen to. But when those highly anticipated twists and turns make their appearance, I found more branching off the original. What?! Huh! So I back-tracked a few pages for clarity (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.) and reread the passage. Where in the world does he come up with this stuff? 

I was thrilled to see the characters from Megan J Parkers books that complimentded the original Crimson Shadow series. Serena Vailean is definitely, and without a doubt, an absolute character, albeit overly fond of inserting her favorite swear word in as many places as possible. 

The story opens Serena yelling at Zane about Gergori's bedtime being two hours ago on the eve of his 2nd birthday. It made me laugh, bringing up memories of my own son at that age. I'm sure parents world-wide will also get a laugh from the antics of father and son.

Fast forward a few years to watch Gregori and his girlfriend graduating from the school founded by his idol (it can only be one person) and stepping into their dream jobs. Serena is tormented by a recurring nightmare that she can't remember upon waking. 

The Xander Stryker features large in this new series, complete with a wife and child (a daughter to be exact) of his own. We learn that in the timeline of the last of the Crimson Shadow series to this first of a following series, something has changed Xander. Was the change for good? or ill? I leave that up to you.  

Squires has held true to his calling and once again proven himself worthy of the title Bard. I thought when I finished reading the last installment of the Crimson Shadow series that I had seen the best Squiers could possibly produce. I was difinitely wrong. The cast of characters are older with one or more children, taking on concerns relative to our own world. And he does it with finesse and a deft hand. He presents a seamless blending of characters from both his Crimson Shadow books and those of his wife, Megan J Parker (Squiers).

Newly released this past February, I have faith that this will place is the top 100 for its genre. The cast of characters are fully believable for the worldscape that been created for them, and true to themselves as they appeared in previous books. "Dad bod" is a thing, Xander has changed due events after the last series ended and prior to this one. (What? You thought I'd tell you what happened?) 

If you fell in love with the CS series, you'll love this new one. Once again, I have to give Squiers a full 5 stars. This book is available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment