Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Prowlers and Growlers Boxed Set - Dark Melody by Megan J. Parker

Boxed sets can be a bit of a gamble, but then so can any single book by a new author. They can also be holders of hidden gems waiting to be discovered. There are some authors whose work I will always read. Their name on the cover tells me exactly what I'm getting and what I'm in for. As soon as I saw Megan Parker had a story in this set, I knew what I was reading first. It did not disappoint.

Megan, you've done it again. You've transported me, not quite to the romances of my teenage years, because this was a bit more adult than that. I love what you've done in Nathan Squiers' and Xander's world. A comfy, more grown-up romance with just enough tension to keep me absorbed page after page. Can I have a David? Pretty please?

My heart went out to Talia from the beginning. She didn't even have a name for cryin' out loud. She created one from the ID number the scientists gave her! Everything she knows of the world came from romance novels, and the few people she came in contact with in the labs. Many things she read she has no frame of reference for as she can't imagine what these things look like! Kept in a cage her entire life, her only frame of reference for behaviors she can expect from other people come from the scientists and romance books.

When the scientists learn that word has leaked of what happens in the lab, everything vital is packed up to be moved. This includes Talia and a fellow captive. Together, though in separate cages and trucks, they are transported in the convoy as the scientists move their operations. An accident and a getaway leave Talia placed where David can find her.

It takes a while for David to believe Talia when she says she's never seen/experienced something. Not to mention being able to trust he wouldn't hurt her when that is her only experience with other people. His friends are interesting themselves, one has quite the mouth on him. Language guy! I mean, really now. What will she think of you?

The pace of the story is steady throughout, something I have come to expect from books by this author. As I said, this is a comfy read. The kind you read curled up in an overstuffed chair, wrapped in a blanket, in front of a fire on a rainy day. Of course there's the requisite bad guy. But you'll have to figure out who that is on your own.

I love this story. I want more, so much more. I want a story for each of David's friends. Oh. And I want a David for myself. (I know you'll get right on that, Megan.) I badly want to give this 5 stars. But there were a couple of snags and errors that make that impossible.

As much as I wish otherwise, I can only give this book 4 stars. This book is part of the boxed set "Prowlers and Growlers" at Amazon. I'll get around to reading the other stories at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment