Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Andromeda's Reign; Moonrising Book 2 by K.S. Haigwood

In this addition to the Moonrising saga, Mena, now calling herself Andromeda, is in the southwest with her bondmate to learn how to be an Alpha. Committed to thirty days away from Phoenix, she's full of anger and attitude. Not to mention fighting her growing feelings and desire for Ace, the Alpha lion of Las Vegas. All while still wanting to be back with Phoenix.

And of course nothing can be straightforward in any book with Haigwood's name on the cover. Members of his pride are everything from confused to downright hostile about her presence among them. On one page, she's paired with a woman who is definitely out to stir up trouble and does so quite effectively. Next thing I know, the two women have jointly conspired to pull off a sneak attack on Ace that leaves him somewhat, um, over exposed.

Some of my favorite characters from her Eternal Island series make an appearance and have an important role of their own to play. Ace, being the font of brilliant ideas, makes a deal and ends up with a major handicap. (What? Did you really think I'd give that one away? Not on your life.)

Throughout the hilarity, there is a serious side to the story. As in any good story where love is a thread, there is jealousy. And jealousy rears its ugly head at the worst possible time. When Haigwood told us we'd never guess who got the girl, she wasn't joking.

When I got to the end of the book, I found myself in the unusual position of being furiously angry at one of the characters. I don't think I've ever felt that way about any character in any book I've ever read. I told her at the first opportunity that I wanted to drag "so and so" from the book and kill him, bring him back to life and kill him again. She laughed. Hmph. The book has been live and available now for five days. I still want to commit "character-cide." (I may have just coined a new word.)

I've been reading Haigwood's stories for a couple of years now and have yet to get my hands on one that is merely "okay." Seriously now, I want to know how she manages to make each book better than the last one. Because that's what has happened. This book doesn't stop moving from the first page to the last. It's a fast-paced, wild ride. Highly emotive writing, fantastic character development (including one I want to kill), and perfectly edited. What more could a reader ask for? Do yourself a favor and get this book. Heck, get both of them. And the prequel. I guarantee it will be money well-spent.

For all the previously mentioned reasons, I'm giving this one 5 stars. I received an ARC of this book to beta read and review.

You can find this book at Amazon (US, CA, AU, UK) and Barnes & Noble.

No comments:

Post a Comment