Friday, March 21, 2014

Helpless (Blue Fire Saga #3) by Scott Prussing

Leesa is practicing her magic under the tutelage of Dominic's watchful eye. Destiratu continues to strengthen and new enemies are introduced to keep the story interesting. Cali is still the only one of Leesa's friends who has been let in on Rave's secret. Leesa learns a valuable lesson, that even the smallest of magics used wisely, can topple an enemy.

I enjoyed this story, and in fact bought the remaining books in the series. However, there are significant problems that need to be addressed to improve the readers' enjoyment.

The formatting problems present in book 2 have carried over into this book. What began as a minor font size issue at the end of each chapter grew worse the further I got into the book. This font size changes as much as two points up or down. As much as I enjoyed the book, I resented the need to adjust the on-screen font size on my Nook to continue reading this story. This need detracted greatly from the reading experience and prevented me from fully immersing myself in the story. The font style used for the chapter titles is inconsistent throughout the book. Having been formally trained in graphic design, I find this inconsistency to also be distracting.

Had there been no formatting issues with this book, I would have been quite happy to give it three stars. I enjoyed the story, but had no problem setting the book aside to take care of other things. The fact that the formatting problems increased the further I read lessened my enjoyment. It is with regret that I am unable to do so. 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment